Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Walkway Challenge: Hens and Chicks

My front walkway is of the dry stack variety -- there's no mortar between any of the stones. Stone dust was tamped in during construction, but with each heavy rain, a bit more of it washes down the sloping yard.



I got the idea to plant some hens and chicks in the spaces that have lost the most rock dust when I saw them in another stone walkway.  There was already some decaying organic matter in the cracks: broken down sticks, leaves, nuts. I just broke a piece off the hen/chick pile and crammed it into a few spots.




These little succulents are nearly indestructible, and they love the walkway's sunny conditions. They come back year after year, too, as long as you don't accidentally scrape them off when you're shoveling snow or vigorously sweeping.




Plus they're cute, and they do seem to be helping to create some hold in the risky patches of the walkway.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed. I generally don't like these plants, but your use makes them look like something I might want to have.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete